The history

Asia-House---1898

BUSINESS – CULTURE – PEOPLE: the identity of ASIA HOUSE

Both externally and internally, Asia House looks the same today as it did when it was opened by H.N. Andersen in 1898; rustic red brick on a striking base, in keeping with the style of the then newly built India Quay in Søndre Frihavn, Copenhagen. The House was erected as the headquarters of A/S Det Østasiatiske Kompagni (the East Asiatic Company), which was founded the year before.

Asia House served as the EAC’s headquarters up to 1907. In the years that followed, it was used as a hiring office for sailors, a ticket office for passenger ships, a laboratory and administration complex for a pharmaceutical group, an international wool trading centre, a customs office, an exhibition centre, and more besides.

Today, Asia House is owned by the EAC Foundation and serves as a focal point for its work to preserve knowledge of the EAC’s history and importance and provide a meeting place for all those who have an interest in Asia today.

The full history of both Asia House and the EAC up to the present day was brought to light in autumn 2016 with the publication of the book ‘Udsyn’ by Martin Jes Iversen. Unlike much previous literature on the EAC, Martin Jess Iversen’s work is based on direct access to the EAC’s archives.